- Everyone, independent and traditional publishers, is embracing digital publishing
- Paper and traditional publishing are not dying due to eBooks and independent publishing, but are adapting to meet readers’ new expectations in this world of instant gratification
- If you decide to self-publish, don’t half-ass anything. Be prepared to pay at least $1000, normally around $4000 for good quality–but don’t underestimate the ability to bargain.
Attending Book Expos
- Wear comfortable shoes (sneakers or loafers). I don’t care if you say you can walk in heels or boots with 3-inch (ore more) heels. Walking around booths and up and down stairs will make your feet hurt like hell. Especially if you’re carrying books around with you, which brings me to…
- Bring at least 2 bags (to balance out the weight), or a sturdy backpack.
- Bring a notebook and multiple pens (make sure they all work! I ran into 2 of them not working mid-seminar, not a good experience).
- Bring glasses (if you need them).
- Bring business cards, a one-sheet (short synopsis of your story and your bio), and anything else you can use to market yourself to potential agents, editors, and publishers.
And that’s it! I had so much fun at BEA13 and hope to go again next year!