Last week alone was filled with so much work that I spent all my free time sleeping so I could maintain enough energy to complete the tasks I needed to do.
What did those duties entail? Well, it involved mainly 2 things (both of which had a lot of smaller, pressing tasks):
- Completing my college transfer application
- Being lead costume person on a school play (I don’t say costumer because I didn’t design the costumes—a friend did, and then I was in charge of everything else to do with costumes because they were sick and were unable to be at any of the tech week rehearsals/run-throughs or performances)
Let me break it down a bit further for you. My college transfer application involved a bunch of things (most of which I had done in advance, but making sure everything got in on time was more than a little tough):
- CommonApp essay (why I want to transfer)
- college-specific essay (why I want to transfer to Boston University)
- High School Transcript (super easy to have this sent off)
- Mid-Term Report (difficult to get all my teachers to sign this given their different schedules)
- College Syllabi (easy-ish, give or take a few technical mishaps)
- Transfer Report (easy for me, but still not sure if Brandeis has sent them yet)
- College Transcript (I got confirmation it was sent, but BU hasn’t said they’ve received it yet)
The last 2 are giving me all kinds of anxiety because I don’t want to be rejected just because my application was incomplete (because the third parties were late).
For the play, I basically became the head of the back-stage. I was in charge of the numerous quick-changes for every show, and the makeup for 3 of the 5 shows. This wouldn’t have been that much of a big deal, except I had signed up as an assistant as a favor to the friend, but when that friend essentially went MIA, I had to take charge of a lot of responsibilities I wasn’t expecting.
- learn each character’s costume
- plan out each costume change
- be back stage for the whole show to assist with said costume changes
- learn make up
- apply said make-up for the last 3 shows
- fix multiple costumes multiple times because of new issues that kept popping up
- clean up the green room
From what I heard from everyone involved, I did a great job. I definitely feel proud of what I did, but I’m exhausted even as I’m forced to quickly refocus on school work (especially the 2 papers I have due this week and next week).
And, I should address the elephant in the room: I haven’t written a word for NaNoWriMo yet. And yes, it’s an excuse to say it’s because I had all this stuff going on, but that doesn’t make it any less true. I doubt I’ll be able to “win” NaNo this year, but I’m hoping after this week I’ll be able to hunker down and write more of The Matchmakers before I have to start worrying about finals (though knowing Brandeis’ assignment schedule, I know this is 99.99% a pipe dream).
So, that’s the latest update with me.